Receive up-to-the-minute news updates on the hottest topics with NewsHub. Install now.

Tragic End To 'Sweet' Boy’s Life

March 6, 2018 4:00 AM
160 0

Arnold Kitso Fortune Ofentse who hails from Tumasera, is alleged to have died on Friday night under a huge Morula tree about 200 metres from Mogoditshane Senior Secondary School after telling his cousins that he was going to charge his phone at a neighbour’s house.

Narrating the story to The Monitor team at her home in Mogoditshane Block 5, his aunt Agnes Ofentse said she received an unusual call from the Mogoditshane Police at around 3:30am on Saturday.

“They asked me if I knew anyone using a Nokia phone, which I denied. They then asked if all my children were home to which I affirmed. They then told me to come to the police (station) at 7am. I was worried and woke the children up to tell them about my phone call. They told me Fortune was not home stating that he left around 10pm saying he was going to charge his phone at the neighbours’ and he never returned. They also told me that his phone is a Nokia and not a Samsung as I thought,” she said.

Ofentse said she then went to the Police Station upon where she learnt that her nephew was no more. She went to identify the body at Princess Marina Hospital mortuary.

“He had a huge circular cut on his throat. We also went to the crime scene where we saw his blood and the police showed us tracks, which showed that he was with another person who later turned back to where they were coming from as per the shoe tracks,” she said.

aunt said the tracks were to and from a shopping complex housing Wiseguys Night Club where they suspect he met the assailant who then convinced him to follow him to the bushes.

“We wonder where they met and where he got the shoes as all his shoes were home. Again, we wonder who would want to hurt him as he was just a sweet boy who did not drink alcohol or go out at night. He was just a sweet child who played with small children at home and would never leave the house at night,” she said.

Ofentse said her nephew who has lost his mother came to stay with her in December from Selebi-Phikwe where he was staying with her elder aunt.

She said they never received any report of delinquency from neither the aunt nor the school. She said the incident has shocked and saddened the whole family, as they never thought such a thing could happen to their well-behaved boy.

Mogoditshane Police Station commander, Superintendent Agreement Mapeu confirmed the incident.

“It appears the boy was murdered on Friday night. We received a call in the wee hours of the morning from a passerby only to find him in a pool of blood with a stab wound on his neck not far from Mogoditshane Senior School. He was taken to Nkoyaphiri Clinic where he was certified dead,” he said.

Mapeu said they found the victim’s phone in his pocket and would use it in their continued investigation. He said thus far they have no leads in the case.


Share in social networks:

Comments - 0