Receive up-to-the-minute news updates on the hottest topics with NewsHub. Install now.

League Cup results: City, Arsenal, United, Leicester progress in very different circumstances

October 24, 2017 8:52 PM
358 0
League Cup results: City, Arsenal, United, Leicester progress in very different circumstances

JESSE Lingard scored twice as Manchester United beat Swansea 2-0 at the Liberty Stadium to reach the Carabao Cup last eight.

A much-changed United side went ahead on 21 minutes through the 24-year-old’s nice finish from a clever Marcus Rashford flick, and it was 2-0 on 59 minutes as Lingard’s superb, guided header found the corner from Matteo Darmian’s delivery.

The result means holders United make the fifth round for only the third time in six years, the draw for which will be made on Thursday at 4pm.

After an even opening with several half-chances for both sides, United took the lead midway through the first half through Lingard.

Ander Herrera’s low pass into Rashford’s feet was flicked on brilliantly by the forward, and Lingard, who had plenty to do from just inside the area, found the bottom right corner past the diving Kristoffer Nordfeldt.

Swansea reacted well, and nearly levelled in bizarre fashion after Daley Blind’s misjudged header clear came off Oliver McBurnie and fell just wide of Sergio Romero’s right-hand post.

Lingard produced another fine finish to make it 2-0 just before the hour mark; after Darmian had been found by Axel Tuanzebe on the right, the Italian’s pinpoint cross found the Englishman on the gallop 18 yards out, and he guided a superb header past Nordfeldt into the top left corner.

Tuanzebe should have made it 3-0 after Nordfeldt’s unconvincing save from a Chris Smalling header, poking the rebound over the bar from just three yards out on the stretch.

Romelu Lukaku got around 20 minutes as a substitute, but was largely anonymous in the closing stages, as Romero saved from point-blank range from Leroy Fer’s far-post effort to keep a clean sheet at the Liberty Stadium.

Bristol City claimed a third successive Premier League scalp as they moved effortlessly into the Carabao Cup quarter-finals at Ashton Gate.

After knocking out Watford and then Stoke, the Sky Bet Championship club saw off top-flight strugglers Crystal Palace after first-half goals from Matty Taylor and Milan Djuric sent them on the their way to a 4-1 win.

Palace led through a Bakary Sako strike, but City never looked back after going ahead, and Joe Bryan’s rasping left-foot shot on the hour confirmed Palace’s fate in front of a 22,000 crowd, before Callum O’Dowda underlined it six minutes later.

It is the first time since 1988-89 that City have reached the League Cup quarter-finals - they were beaten on aggregate by semi-final opponents Nottingham Forest that season - as Lee Johnson’s team marched on.

Palace, bottom of the Premier League with just one win from nine games, did not help themselves in defence, but City’s greater finesse in front of goal deservedly reaped its reward as the Robins romped home.

Leicester City came from behind to clinch a 3-1 home win over Championship side Leeds United in the fourth round of the Carabao Cup.

Leeds opened the scoring after 26 minutes when Pablo Hernandez struck a superb 25-yard strike past motionless Leicester goalkeeper Ben Hamer.

But the Foxes grabbed an equaliser in the 30th minute when Felix Wiedwald rushed off his line to deny Islam Slimani and Kelechi Iheanacho rifled home his first goal for City.

Slimani missed a great chance in the second half before tapping City into the lead after 70 minutes and substitute Riyad Mahrez sealed the win in the 88th minute.

Michael Appleton earned his second win of the week as caretaker manager in charge of the Foxes after last week’s departure of Craig Shakespeare.

Callum Wilson ended his nine-month injury nightmare with a match-winning display as Bournemouth booked a place in the Carabao Cup quarter-finals with a 3-1 victory over Middlesbrough.

Striker Wilson, making his first appearance since suffering knee ligament damage in January, rolled home the Cherries’ second goal from the penalty spot before teeing up substitute Benik Afobe for the clincher.

Debutant defender Jack Simpson had earlier volleyed the hosts into the lead at the Vitality Stadium, before they were pegged back by a first senior goal from Boro teenager Marcus Tavernier.


Share in social networks:

Comments - 0