Receive up-to-the-minute news updates on the hottest topics with NewsHub. Install now.

Gunners Happily Settle For Draw

December 17, 2018 3:00 PM
906 0

Notwane had just come from an impressive 1-0 win over Orapa United midweek while the hosts’ preparations for the game were hampered by players boycotting training citing unpaid salaries.

In the game, Notwane had the upper hand, but failed to bury their chances. Gunners’ coach, Enosi Mmesi revealed that he was happy to settle for a draw.

“It was a home game and we were supposed to win. But I will take this point today. We were a bit shaky. We did not control the game and we gave away possession very easily. This was a good game of football. Notwane could have won it if they used their chances. I played the game and I did not win it, what happened during the week is an administrative issue and I will not comment on it,” he said.

Gunners had a first sight at goal as early as the ninth-minute. Baokeditswe Talane played a through ball for Ogomoditse Sitang.

The midfielder beat the goalkeeper on a one-on-one situation, but skied his shot.

In the 14th minute, the visitors thought they have taken the lead, but Sthembile Mbuqe’s goal was ruled offside.

Two minutes later, with Notwane throwing everything at Gunners, Simbarashe Gate beat his man, but had his shot saved by the goalkeeper.

Notwane were forced to substitute with Thato Seagatleng limping out with an injury and replaced by Keolopile Molemi in the 28th minute. In the 37th minute, Sechaba had yet another move at goal but Amos Godirwang shot over bar.

With a minute to the break, Notwane had another goal ruled for offside. Topo Piet beat the offside trap, but was let down by his movement as the team went into the break level at 0-0.

The second half did not produce as many sparks as the first. In the 68th minute, Gate was played a through ball by Mbuqe, but could only hit the legs of advancing Thomas Manyelela.

On the 74th minute, the host had their first shot at goal with Lungisani Fanyana on a turn inside the box but Michael Pepukani came tops.

A minute later, Fanyana came knocking, but it was once again Pepukani who came out superior. With four minutes to time, Mpho Kgaswane had to make a game saving tackle to deny substitute Thabiso Boti from taking his shot.

Gunners played to their fourth consecutive draw as Notwane moved inside the top eight bracket.

“We executed our plan well. We knew they have not been well. They have problems of their own so we tried to capitalise on that. We had an injury in the first half and that changed the way we played, but I think we played well after the midweek game,” Notwane assistant coach, Kakale Mabechu said after the game.


Share in social networks:

Comments - 0